Community Include

History and Organization

1891 program for a fire department sponsered social.The Village of Northville was organized in March of 1867, and in the earliest days fire protection was a matter in which all residents were actively involved. One of the very first ordinances adopted by the Village Trustees required that anyone occupying a building in the Village keep on hand “three good pails and one ladder” for fire fighting purposes.

By 1890, the Village had grown to the point where an organized Fire Department was necessary. Chief A.M. Whitehead and about 30 volunteers from the community trained on the use of the new equipment, a 60 gallon, two-wheel, horse-drawn chemical wagon.
In 1990, the Department added EMS response to its services. Department members underwent training to become Emergency Medical Technicians, and began responding to calls for medical assistance together with private EMS providers.

Northville Fire Department in the 1970s.Today, as the result of a partnership between the Cities of Northville and Plymouth, the Department operates two stations – one located in each City, adjacent to the respective municipal offices. Personnel are assigned to a station, and respond to calls in that station’s response area. In the event of a major incident, personnel and equipment from both stations are dispatched.


Northville Fire Department in the early 1980s.Over the years, the equipment, training and range of services provided have changed significantly. But the Department still relies on the willingness of members of the community to step forward and take on the responsibility of training and then responding to the community’s emergency service needs.


Northville Fire Department circa 1995
Northville Fire Department
circa 1995.

The Fire Department celebrates its history during the annual Victorian Festival.
The Fire Department celebrates its history
during the annual Victorian Festival.


Event Calendar
News and Announcements

The City of Northville, Northville DDA, Northville Parks and Recreation Department, City of Novi, Charter Township of Northville, Hines Park (Wayne County Parks) and Maybury Park (Michigan Department of Natural Resources) collaboratively embarked on the development of a physical connection between Hines and Maybury called “The Link”.

Developing a comprehensive bicycle and pedestrian wayfinding program to assist users in navigating “The Link” was paramount. An informative and visible signage system for the existing connection was developed and set a precedent for growth of a signed network in the area as routes are identified. Click here for a map and more information about “The Link”.

Election Results

Is My Property in the City of Northville?  If you are not sure whether the property you are looking up is in the City of Northville, see the Property by Street Address page. 

Oakland County Executive L. Brooks Patterson launched an informational page where residents can learn firsthand about the proposed Great Lakes Water Authority (GLWA). Go to and click on the Great Lakes Water Authority link.

Online Payments Now Accepted for Utility Bills and Taxes - More Info

Title VI
Non-Discrimination Plan

eBill for Utility Billing
Bills by email are now available to all utility billing customers.
Click here to sign up.

Automatic Payment (ACH) for Taxes & Utility Billing
The City offers Automatic Payment for Utility Billing.
Click here to sign up.
The City offers Automatic Payment for Taxes.
Click here to sign up.

Roundabout IconHow to Drive a Roundabout
Visit the State of Michigan website for helpful information on Roundabouts.