The following steps/items must be completed prior to filing a
complaint with the Northville Police Department seeking criminal
- Request payment on the check twice through the appropriate
- Complete items 1 - 9 on the "Prosecutor’s Required Information
for Warrant on Bad Check Cases" from the Bad Checks Complaint form
- Complete a Bad Check Notification form letter from the Bad
Checks Complaint Form.
A. A photocopy of the completed notification
letter is required.
B. It is the responsibility of the complainant to mail the
notification letter and pay all postal charges.
C. The notification letter is to be mailed by registered mail
with restricted delivery and return receipt. Letter is to be
deliverable only to the addressee, who must sign for same.
Upon completion of the above listed items, and receiving a
response to the registered letter (either the return receipt or the
returned unclaimed letter), the following items should be submitted
to the Police Department for criminal proceedings to begin.
- The original check in question with the financial institution
notation reflecting that the check has been submitted twice for
- The completed "Prosecutor’s Required Information for Warrant
on Bad Check Cases" form.
- A photocopy of the completed notification form letter.
- The postmarked receipt for certified mail.
- The signed returned receipt or the returned unclaimed
If there are unique circumstances present regarding a specific
bad check, please contact an officer in the Detective Bureau.